Are you looking to move from the #2 or #3 slot to leading comms for an organization? Does working at the fastest-growing Republican polling firm intrigue you, because you want to join a company that’s really going places? Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment of politics and enjoy taking the lead on multiple projects? Have you built a great network of journalists and influencers?
Cygnal is hiring a Comms / PR / Marketing Director to handle brand building for Cygnal and its pollsters and manage content development and advertising for Cygnal and its subsidiaries succeed.
This is an exciting time to be joining Cygnal. FiveThirtyEight just named us the most accurate private polling firm in the country for 2022, Campaigns & Election just awarded us “Republican Firm of the Year”, and Inc. 5000 listed us as the fasting growing research firm in 2021.
To fit in at Cygnal, you’ll need to display the company values:
- Move Now - We default to action and are kindly responsive.
- Wow Everyone – We create value, set clear expectations, and do the right thing.
- Never Settle - We are curious, always learning, and growing.
- Work Smart – We are simplifiers – efficient, effective, and scrappy.
- Obliterate Obstacles –We take ownership of outcomes and learn from failing fast.
As the Comms / PR / Marketing Director, you will work alongside the CEO of the company, the pollsters, and other leadership team members handling everything from developing media releases and web/social content to creating direct mail and client gift campaigns to managing the advertising approach and budget.
- Generating PR opportunities, media engagement, and social media visibility for Cygnal and its pollsters.
- Write, publish, and promote valuable, engaging content that benefits our clients and prospects and raises brand awareness, positioning the pollsters as subject-matter experts.
- Write, design, and send email newsletters.
- Develop marketing and sales materials in conjunction with the team.
- Manage social media accounts by posting content regularly and engaging with our communities.
- Create and manage a marketing calendar.
- Draft and own the marketing budget.
- Develop strategies and tactics to get the word out about the company and drive interested people to the front door.
- Experiment with a variety of organic and paid acquisition channels like content creation, content curation, pay-per-click campaigns, publicity, social media, and lead generation campaigns.
- Develop case studies for marketing programs.
- Oversee contractors, like web developers, designers, and video editors.
- Measure and report on the performance of PR and marketing campaigns, learn from wins and losses, and assess against goals.
Required Background & Skills:
- Experience in Hill, campaign, or trade organization comms / PR.
- Relationships with national political journalists; preferably also experience with journalists and media outlets within some states.
- Knowledge of the cable TV landscape and how news directors book talking heads.
- Strong project-management and problem-solving skills.
- A love for great, winsome copy and witty communication – we’re a bit snarky and tongue-in-cheek in our communication style.
- Ability to learn and adapt rapidly, taking feedback in stride.
- Creative thinking, able to come up with unique ideas to break through the media clutter.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to concisely explain complex ideas.
- Mental toughness to balance competing project demands on short timelines.
- Flexibility to work weekends and/or unconventional hours as needed.
- Reside in or willing to relocate to Washington, DC
- A competitive base salary with performance-based variable compensation that results in a six-figure total compensation package
- Unlimited vacation and work-time flexibility in non-election years; reasonable flexibility in election years
- Health insurance benefits
- 401k with company match
- Company-paid short-term and long-term disability insurance and term life insurance
- A collaborative and creative work environment
- Parental leave
- Training and coaching to help you grow and succeed
- Relocation bonus