Are you a dyed-in-the-wool Republican? Do you have a contact list of political reporters on speed dial? What about getting content shared by conservative and media voices on Twitter? Do you excel at writing content, crafting an angle, getting media attention, and juggling multiple projects while being crazy creative and hitting deadlines? Do you thrive in the fast-paced environment of politics and enjoy taking the lead on multiple initiatives?
Cygnal is hiring a Communication & Marketing Director to handle comms, PR, and brand building for Cygnal and its pollsters. You will be in charge of content development and advertising for Cygnal and its subsidiaries along with sales materials to help our team succeed. To fit in at Cygnal, you’ll need to display the company values:
- Move Now – We default to action and are kindly responsive.
- Obliterate Obstacles - We take ownership of outcomes and learn from failing fast.
- Wow Everyone – We create value, set clear expectations, and do the right thing.
- Never Settle - We are curious, always learning, and growing.
- Work Smart – We are simplifiers – efficient, effective, and scrappy.
As the Communication & Marketing Director, you will work alongside the President, EVPs, and pollsters of the company, handling everything from developing media releases/PR opportunities and web/social content, to creating direct mail and client gift campaigns, to managing sales materials and advertising. You will support the Sales team/pollsters by generating authority and credibility for the company. You will deploy successful marketing campaigns from ideation to execution for two different verticals - political and corporate/issue.
- Raise the profile and credibility of Cygnal and its pollsters by generating PR opportunities, media engagement, and social media visibility.
- Write, publish, and promote engaging content that provides values for our clients and prospects and raises our brand awareness and positions us as subject-matter experts.
- Write, design, and send regular email newsletters.
- Develop marketing and sales materials.
- Manage social media by posting content regularly and engaging with our communities.
- Create and manage a marketing calendar.
- Draft and own the marketing budget.
- Develop strategies and tactics to get the word out about our company and drive interested prospects.
- Experiment with a variety of organic and paid acquisition channels like content creation, content curation, pay-per-click campaigns, publicity, social media, and lead generation campaigns.
- Develop business cases for marketing programs.
- Oversee contractors, like web developers, designers, and video editors.
- Measure and report on the performance of marketing campaigns, learn from wins and losses, and assess against goals.
- Demonstrable experience in campaign/political or Hill communications, PR, and marketing and advertising with the potential and attitude required to learn.
- Ability and network to frequently generate media and social attention.
- Strong project-management and problem-solving skills.
- A love for great, snarky copy and witty communication.
- Ability to learn and adapt rapidly, taking feedback in stride.
- Creative thinking; able to come up with unique ideas to break through the clutter.
- Working knowledge of Wordpress.
- Ability to concisely explain complex ideas.
- Stellar grammar and writing skills.
- Mental toughness to balance competing project demands on short timelines.
- Flexibility to work weekends and/or unconventional hours as needed.
- Preferred: Proven experience in identifying target audiences, setting up ad campaigns (Facebook Ad, Linkedin Ad, and Google Ad campaigns), and managing them to completion across channels - all to generate leads.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
- 3+ years' experience in a political/campaign/Hill communications or marketing execution role.
- Pre-existing relationships with political media and copywriting experience.
- Ability to create and manage multiple PR and marketing projects each month.
- Social media management and proven lead generation and audience engagement
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Track record of managing contractors.
- Performance-driven and knowledge-hungry with a teachable mindset and willingness to accept and apply feedback.
- Resides in or is willing to relocate to the Washington, DC area.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communication, or a related field.
- Competent in a sales CRM, Microsoft products, and efficient in email and Microsoft Teams.
- Experience with a business intelligence or online dashboard software.
- Experience producing content for demand generation and thought leadership.
- Graphic design, audio/visual production a plus
- Competitive base salary ($80k-$110k) commensurate with experience and skills.
- Individual variable compensation plan for achieving and exceeding goals.
- General health, dental, and vision insurance contribution.
- Unlimited vacation policy.
- Company-paid short-term and long-term disability insurance and term life insurance.
- 401k plan with company match.